Did You Know ~
- Phase 3, the final phase of the WHS renovation project, continues to move at a furious pace. Interior drywall, painting and other finishes are well underway in both academic wings.
- Exterior building finishes will be substantially complete in the coming months. Current construction activity will lead into a busy summer of bringing the building and site to a successful finish for the start of school in September 2017!
- Completed new spaces are being well utilized by teachers and students, with science labs being used every day for all types of experiments, inquiries and exploration. Students are creating amazing products in the technology, engineering and art spaces!
- As part of the completion of the WHS renovation, a time capsule will be sealed into the building. WHS students are assembling the capsule’s contents, with the Class of 2017 contributing to submissions from last year’s graduating class.
- On Skillings Field, removal of excavated soil and installation of a fabric cap (separate from the WHS project) continue. Rough grading of the baseball field is underway.
- Although not a part of the previously approved WHS renovation or Skillings remediation work, Winchester registered voters will soon consider a modification to a portion of the work remaining on Skillings Field. The Board of Selectmen has voted, with unanimous support from the School Committee, to place on the ballot for the Town’s March 28 election a question regarding creation of a turf field at Skillings. Approval by voters (and subsequently at Town Meeting) would result in a debt exclusion override to local property taxes to fund an artificial turf baseball field, with an outfield that would serve multi-sport purposes. A “no” vote would result in a grass play field, in accordance with the original plan for Skillings Field contained in the WHS renovation project plan. For more information, please visit the Town’s web site at winchester.us.